The Tucson Citizen Water Academy is a series of lectures, tours, and activities provided by Water Campus partners UA WEST Center, Tucson Water, and Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department (RWRD). The goal of the Citizen Water Academy is to provide an inside look at how citizens are part of the local water cycle, examining drinking water supplies, the wastewater reclamation process, and research and innovations for the future. The Academy also provides citizens a better understanding of water-related businesses and what it takes to run water and wastewater utilities.
During the upcoming Water Academy, participants will:
The next Citizen Water Academy is scheduled for five Wednesdays in Spring 2020. Sessions are held from 9:00am to 12:00pm, with a break for refreshments (provided).
- Wednesday, March 4
- Wednesday, March 11 (Alternate location - See note below)
- Wednesday, March 18 (Alternate location - See note below) -- POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Wednesday, March 25 -- POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Wednesday, April 1 -- POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- MAIN MEETING PLACE: Water Academy participants will meet in the Radon Room at the Pima County RWRD facility. The building is located at 2955 W Calle Agua Nueva, off Camino del Cerro and I-10, and is part of a Water Campus which includes the Agua Nueva WRF, UA WEST Center, and Sweetwater Wetlands. Water Campus location information can be found on the WEST Center contact page. Construction at the I10-Ruthrauff Rd Interchange will require travelers to access the Water Campus via alternative routes (see map below).
- ALTERNATE LOCATIONS: On March 11, participants will meet at Sweetwater Wetlands at 2511 W Sweetwater Drive and travel by group bus to tour sites. On March 18, participants will meet at the Tres Rios Water Reclamation Facility (TRWRF) at 7101 N Casa Grande Hwy. A map and directions to alternate meeting locations will be distributed on March 4.
Thank you for your interest in the Citizen Water Academy. Registration for the Spring 2020 series filled quickly and is currently closed.
Please check back in Fall 2020 for details about the next series.