University of Arizona's WEST Center
WEST Center facilitates innovative research and technology development to ensure sustainable water supplies that protects and promotes environmental and human health. Critical to WEST’s success is the partnership between the University of Arizona, the private sector, utilities, and the community at large.
Features of the WEST Center:
- State-of-the-art facility for new water and energy technology evaluation
- Provides world class expertise in:
- Environmental microbiology & environmental engineering
- Technology development for reduced energy use in water treatment
- In line real-time sensors for water treatment technologies
- A leading center in emerging chemical and microbial contaminants
- Community monitoring of infectious agents for pandemic prevention and prediction
- Co-located with Wastewater Reclamation Facility allows for direct access to online variable water qualities for flow-through experiments
UA faculty selected for Arizona DPR Technical Advisory Group
In September 2022, the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) selected UA faculty, including two from WEST Center, to assist in developing an implementable direct potable reuse (DPR) rule and program for the state.
Call for Support: National Collaborative PFAS Project
WEST invites interested parties to participate in a national collaborative project to evaluate if land application of biosolids is/is not a significant public health route of exposure to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS).