The WEST Center is unique in its ability to conduct research necessary to advance the sustainable technologies of the future. Cutting-edge equipment and state-of-the-art facilities make it possible.
For a list and photos of pilot scale equipment available at the WEST Center, see the document above. (updated 2020)
Research space and capabilities of the WEST Center facility are outlined below.
- Unique large volume laboratory space suitable for intermediate, field-scale technologies
- Plumbed-in access to range of water qualities via Agua Nueva WRF allow for flow-through studies
- Potable Water
- Reclaimed Water
- Multiple advanced wastewater treatment technologies
- In-line sensors for detection of biological and chemical contaminants
- Protection of public health via real time water quality monitoring technologies
- Development of decision-making support tools that allow for self-monitoring and self-correcting advanced treatment systems.
- Cultural technologies for the growth of bacteria
- Cell culture for the growth of viruses
- Molecular and cultural detection technologies for pathogenic viruses and bacteria
- Microscopic methodology for detection of helminths
- Microbial detection in air, soil, water and municipal waste
- Sensitivity of detection for trace organics at part-per-trillion level
- Pharmaceuticals and personal care product analysis
- Identification of perfluorinated compounds (PFAS), including PFOS and PFOA
- Antibiotics analysis