The WEST Center is unique in its ability to conduct research necessary to advance the sustainable technologies of the future. Cutting-edge equipment and state-of-the-art facilities make it possible.
For a list and photos of pilot scale equipment available at the WEST Center, see the document above. (updated 2020)
Research space and capabilities of the WEST Center facility are outlined below.
High Bay Area
- Unique large volume laboratory space suitable for intermediate, field-scale technologies
- Plumbed-in access to range of water qualities via Agua Nueva WRF allow for flow-through studies
- Potable Water
- Reclaimed Water
- Multiple advanced wastewater treatment technologies
Real-time Sensor Lab
- In-line sensors for detection of biological and chemical contaminants
- Protection of public health via real time water quality monitoring technologies
- Development of decision-making support tools that allow for self-monitoring and self-correcting advanced treatment systems.
- Cultural technologies for the growth of bacteria
- Cell culture for the growth of viruses
- Molecular and cultural detection technologies for pathogenic viruses and bacteria
- Microscopic methodology for detection of helminths
- Microbial detection in air, soil, water and municipal waste
Trace Organic Analysis Lab
- Sensitivity of detection for trace organics at part-per-trillion level
- Pharmaceuticals and personal care product analysis
- Identification of perfluorinated compounds (PFAS), including PFOS and PFOA
- Antibiotics analysis